The list of witnesses has been announced for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Puerto Rico’s fiscal problems. The hearing will be held tomorrow at 10 am and available for viewing here.
- Resident Commisioner Pedro Pierluisi, the only voice Puerto Rico has in the federal legislature.
- Puerto Rico Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla.
- Carlos Colon De Armas, professor of finance in the University of Puerto Rico’s Graduate School of Business, will also speak. He was the Executive Vice-President of the Government Development Bank of Puerto Rico from 1999-2000, and is a well-known speaker and consultant on financial issues. You can hear Prof. Colon de Armas in an interview on Boston’s NPR station.
- Alex Pollock, resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, who has spoken on Puerto Rico’s situation in previous hearings. He specializes in policy issues relating to banking, the Federal Reserve, government-sponsored enterprises, and the role of uncertainty and risk in financial systems, among other topics, and is the author of Boom and Bust: Financial Cycles and Human Prosperity.
- Stephen Spencer, the managing director of Houlihan Lokey, where he focuses on the Financial Restructuring Group, advising companies in distress. Mr. Spencer is an expert in municipal distress and Chapter 9 insolvency issues.
- Richard Carrion, executive chairman of Banco Popular, is also a member of the International Olympic Committee, and the Chairman and CEO of Banco Popular, Inc.
- Richard Ravitch, former Lieutenant Governor of the State of New York, was a member of the board of governors of the American Stock Exchange and of government advisory boards examining fiscal issues, and is the author of So Much to Do: A Full Life of Business, Politics, and Confronting Fiscal Crises.
The hearing will take place at 10:00 Eastern time tomorrow, December 1, 2015.