Many of the most popular stories at Puerto Rico Report in 2018 were the articles that answer questions and confusions a lot of Americans still have about the relationship between the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Is Puerto Rico a Country?
- How Did Puerto Rico Become a U.S. Territory?
- Is Puerto Rico Part of the United States?
- The Meaning of “Commonwealth”
Other popular stories focused on what Puerto Rico brings to the United States.
- Puerto Rico Has Valuable Natural Resources
- The Federal Income Taxes Puerto Ricans Pay
- Puerto Rico and Federal Income Tax
People also wanted to know “Why Can’t Puerto Rico Vote for President?”
In addition to the persistent questions about Puerto Rico as a territory of the United States, we also had popular posts about the hurricanes of 2017.
These were the Top 10 stories for 2018.
There were other important stories this year. In fact, 2018 was a historic year for Puerto Rico’s movement toward statehood.
- Puerto Rico officially requested statehood on January 10, 2018.
- The Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act of 2018 was introduced in Congress.
- With the Admission Act in congressional committee consideration, the leaders of that committee proposed a yes or no vote on statehood.
With new leadership suggesting that there should be a new plebiscite with “all the options” included, it’s worth remembering what those options are under the U.S. Constitution.
We look forward to more important news about Puerto Rico’s status in 2019.